JOB SUMMARY: Under the guidance of the Toolpusher, the Rig Mechanic inspects, services and recovers machinery and drilling equipment like engines, motors, pumps, winches, pneumatic, hydraulic and rig moving mechanisms by performing the following duties.
- The oil rig mechanic performs daily prophylactic support checks to assure equipment is running within proper limitations
- Troubleshoot mechanical failure for root-cause and repair as required
- Caterpillar 3500 series engines and power generators
- Hydraulic and pneumatic mechanisms
- Electrical and electronic systems and technologies
- Specific equipment for the oil rigs (draw-works, top drives, mud pumps, moving systems, etc.)
- Document all work which is performed on work orders and entry into MP2 program everyday
- Support critical spare parts inventory and initiate purchases orders for all kinds of parts and equipment as required
- Sets up and manage power, air and hand instruments to do and repair parts
- Train Motor men to properly support equipment and perform small repairs as necessary
- Keep clear communication with the other oil rig crew members, relief and supervisor
- Follow DDI policies and procedures
- Perform other duties which are assigned
CORE COMPETENCIES TO THE RIG MECHANIC
- Obligation to Excellence – the oil rig mechanic identifies what needs to be made and takes action to accomplish a standard of excellence beyond job expectations.
- Company Values- the rig mechanic understands, embraces, and integrates the hiring company's mission, vision and core values into everyday duties and responsibilities.
- Customer Services – oil rig mechanic identifies and responds to current and future needs of the client by securing good service to internal and external clients.
- Teamwork – resourceful team player which builds, strengthens, and supports collaborative relationships with others crew members of the oil rig platform inside or outside the organization.
- Safety and Security – rig mechanic promotes a safe work environment for co-workers and customers.
TYPICAL REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Usually required 5 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and such kind of experience
- Oil Rig Experience (required in most cases)
- Caterpillar 3500 series experience (required)
- Valid Driver’s License
While performing the obligations of this job, the oil rig mechanic is very often exposed to extreme weather conditions. Temperatures that can reach as low as 45 degrees below 0 during the winter months. The rig mechanic may sometimes be exposed to wet and/or humid working conditions; shifting mechanical or spare parts; high, precarious places, extreme heat and very high noise levels. The oil rig mechanic is going to work in an environment where there is risk that they he is going to be exposed to toxic, caustic and/or hazardous chemicals, fumes or airborne particles. Workers are always required to wear personal protective equipment while on the job on the oil rig.
The oil rig mechanic is going to be required to work the generality of hours in a remote industrial environment, and will need to be able to quickly respond to a shift in work demands. Sometimes lifting up to (1-50 lbs.) is required. Reasonable accommodations might be made to enable workers with disabilities to perform the essential functions.